Friday

Wilton's baked doughnuts with cinnamon sugar glaze

I had my aunt round for tea a few days ago and was messing about in the kitchen with all my baking utensils and decorative plates when I realized (quite belatedly) that there was a recipe on the packaging of the doughnut pan! Well, duh, Nabiya, it was right next to the pricetag... Which, I'm sure I looked at when I bought the damned thing.

I won't even pretend to have a reason for baking these days, as I seem to take selfish pleasure in doing it. It is oddly relaxing, my solitary place, and seems to make people around me happy (discounting the handful who whinge about their calorie-intake, yet still continue to eat the goodies). In this past year, I've found so much comfort in baking, and I suddenly feel like I have something to be passionate about. It feels damned great to find one's calling.

I digress, nobody cares about my strange love affair with desserts, let's get on with the recipe:

Wilton's baked doughnuts recipe
Yield: approximately 12
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C, grease your doughnut pan and set aside
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt
  3. Add the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and melted butter and beat until just incorporated (I did the whole thing by hand, you may choose to use an electric mixer if you wish)
  4. Pour all the batter into a piping bag for ease of filling the pan, cut a hole around the circumference of your pinky fingertip, and fill the doughnut pan 2/3 of the way up
  5. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the top of the doughnuts spring back up when lightly pressed with a finger
  6. Cool for 3 minutes in the pan then pop them out to cool on a wire rack

Cinnamon sugar glaze
  • 2 tbsp fine granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted
  1. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl
  2. In a separate, flat bottomed bowl, melt the butter
  3. Dip the doughnuts in the butter, then roll around in the cinnamon sugar
  4. Serve immediately if possible as baked doughnuts are SO good when warm and fresh from the oven
My family quite enjoyed these, and I'm getting a craving for one from just typing up this post! If you get yourself a doughnut pan, I insist that you give these a shot. I made minor tweaks, as I have no cake flour and I added vanilla as I dislike the eggy taste you sometimes get.

Happy Friday, friends, and enjoy your baking weekend!

Much love, Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment