Thursday

Red Velvet baked Doughnuts


It's February, you're starting to see lots of red and pink hearts on sale everywhere, tv promo slots are filled with lovey dovey messages and reminders to get that special someone a gift from the heart, and you want to gag. Says the single girl.

I have never had a special someone on Valentine's Day, which is fine with me as it means I don't need to worry about gifts and an expensive dinner for two at a fancy restaurant. Valentine's for the past few years for me have always meant family dinner, flowers for my mother, and cuddles with my siblings while watching Ever After and The Little Mermaid.

However, I do love desserts, and we do always still get lots of Valentine's treats from friends! So this year, I'm baking red velvet doughnuts for everyone! I finally caved and bought a Wilton doughnut pan last week, it looked so cute, you see? I've been thinking of getting one ever since I saw this picture on tumblr roughly a year ago, but it's quite difficult to get one here, and when you do find one... it's quite expensive. But I had a bit of extra holiday money, so why not, right?

We had some relatives around last Tuesday afternoon, for a tea party of sorts, and since it was my baking day anyway, I thought I'd get up a little early and work on some treats for the guests. It's a damned shame that I only have one doughnut pan, as it means waiting for several batches, and enduring the pain of standing for quite a bit of time.

Red Velvet doughnuts
Yield: 8 doughnuts, I made 3 batches

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup caster sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup plain greek yoghurt
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp water
  • 1/4 tsp red food colouring


  1. Preheat oven to 180C, butter the doughnut pan and set aside
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in your large mixing bowl
  3. Mix in the sugar
  4. Add the eggs and yoghurt, beat on low-medium until just incorporated, gradually adding in the water as you go
  5. Beat in the butter and vanilla extract, then finally stir in the colouring
  6. Pour the batter into a piping bag, or I used one of these, and fill the doughnut pans 2/3 of the way
  7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, take them out, let them cool in the pan for up to 5 minutes before overturning onto a wire rack. Cool completely.

Cream Cheese icing glaze

  • 4oz butter, softened
  • 4oz cream cheese, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract


  1. Cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy
  2. Gradually add the sugar, beating the whole time so it gets evenly incorporated into the mix
  3. Add the vanilla extract, continue to beat until completely mixed
  4. Transfer the frosting into a medium sized bowl, and microwave for about 15 seconds, until the mixture is runny. Then just whisk it lightly with a fork before overturning the doughnuts into the "glaze". Allow this to cool to room temperature, or chill if you prefer a harder glaze. 

Serve with coffee or tea!

I can't recall where I got this recipe from, and I looked through all my recent browsing but can't find it. If anybody knows, please poke me and I'll put in the proper credit. Sorry for the fuss!
Love, Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment