Tuesday

Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Photobucket
Before we begin, let me just warn you that this entry may be a tad image heavy, despite the fact that by the time I got to photographing the cupcakes there were only two left... they were so cute, and the lighting was working so well for me that I got totally carried away!
Photobucket
Anyhoo, as mentioned previously, I made my first cake sale last weekend, and along with a strawberry cake, my friend also wanted some cupcakes. At first I didn't think I would have the time to manage the cupcakes, but decided to try for it anyway. I whipped up my go-to chocolate cake recipe, and popped them in the oven while I was frosting the cake.

While the cake sat in the chiller and the cupcakes baked, I managed to shower, get dressed and put on make up before running back to the kitchen to finish the job.
Photobucket
I honestly didn't think I'd make it, but thankfully had enough left over cream cheese frosting from the cake to frost a few of the cupcakes. I only made some miiiinor adjustments.

Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:
  • 8oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 strawberries, pureed and sieved of seeds
  • 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar (or until you achieve the taste and consistency you want)
Photobucket
  1. Whisk butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, for about 5 minutes on medium speed
  2. Mix in the strawberry puree
  3. Beat the sugar in half a cup at a time for 3-4 minutes each addition
  4. *Optional: Add a drop of pink colouring gel
This was also the first time I just applied frosting with a spatula as opposed to piping, and it was daunting! With decorating tips, you KNOW they'll turn out pretty, and yet with this method... there's the chance that they'll look messy, lazy and half-hearted.
Photobucket
I think this method makes for really cute cupcakes, though... Am thinking of making a large batch with different flavours and colours! Cute! Maybe a Hogwarts houses themed batch!
Photobucket
x Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment