Monday

Butter Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting

Photobucket
I baked this batch of cupcakes at the end of May, it's been that long since I last updated. Mainly due to work, and also some weird personal stuff. Whatever. I made these for a friend's birthday, actually two friends (hehe, I'm sorry, I swear you're both special) who had parties on the same day.
Anyhoo, these tasted a bit weird to me. I don't know... there were several things I wasn't too happy about how these cupcakes turned out. The frosting tasted iffy, and the cake was too buttery (duh... the cake's good on its own, but not with this frosting or in the cupcake format). But by the time I got to taste them, it was time to get ready for the double-booked dinner party night.
Word of advice: don't double book dinner parties. Yea, no shit, Sherlock.
Photobucket
Now I know, that in the event of parties, and if you're baking on the same day, stick with a recipe you know and love.
I suppose I switched things up because for the rose cake I did previously, the frosting didn't hold as well in the humidity. Unfortunately, being on the Equator means I have to adapt a lot of recipes to fit our climate. Lame.
Everyone seemed to like how the cupcakes turned out (and I admit, they're cute!), except my ten-year-old brother and myself. Meh, not a fan of shortening, I suppose.
Recipe:
Butter Cake
  • 1 1/2 cups (200g) self-raising flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup (200g) sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup (250g) butter
  • 4 whole eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 4 tbsp milk
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
  2. Grease and line your pans
  3. Cream butter and sugar, add in eggs one at a time and beat until fully combined
  4. Incorporate milk and vanilla essence
  5. Fold in sifted flour
  6. Pour batter into pans, bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted pick comes out clean
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
  • 1/2 cup shortening (GAG)
  • 1/2 cup butter (I'm just going to stick with all butter from now on)
  • and 4 cups of sifted icing sugar
  • 3 tbsp milk (or as needed)
  • (colour as you choose)
  1. Cream the shortening and butter in a bowl until fluffy.
  2. Add the sugar 1/2 cup at a time, and mix for 2-3 minutes before adding more.
  3. When it starts to get stiff, add milk in until you achieve your desired consistency.

I dunno, everyone else seems to be happy with the frosting, so you can give it a shot if you like. I guess I'm just not much of a shortening fan.

The cake's good, though!

x Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment