Monday

Roll-Out Sugar Cookies

Photobucket
I had a friend's housewarming party to attend one night, and due to my constrained budget and also the fact that she totally has everything she could possibly want already anyway... I thought I'd do something special and bake her some cookies instead.
And stuff them in a pretty jar. Which I now want to buy for myself!
All those beautiful cookies posted online, you know the ones: sugar cookies with pretty glaze icing decorations... sigh... I stared at countless images, re-read tons of recipes, and watched youtube videos on how to mix, decorate, store, etc...
I failed.
Decorating with glaze icing was a lot more difficult that I expected. No matter how much I sifted the damned sugar, my icing still had trouble coming out of my Wilton tip, so I gave up after an hour of miserable failure!
The cookies, however, turned out fantastic!
Photobucket
I tweaked one of my aunt's basic cookie recipes, in minor ways:
  • 3/4 cups butter
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cups self-raising flour
  1. Cream butter and sugar
  2. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat until creamy and fluffy, and pretty! (I wish I'd taken photos, but it was at 3 in the morning, and I couldn't be bovvered to set up the lights)
  3. Gradually add the flour until fully incorporated
  4. Drop the dough in a ball into a square of cling wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Like I said, it was 3 am, so I left it overnight and continued in the morning.
  5. When you're ready to bake, roll the dough out on a generously floured surface (I know my aunt likes to use a mixture of flour and sifted sugar for this, but I used just flour cos I try to reduce the sweetness). I think in the process of rolling my dough out and getting it to the perfect consistency, I use a good 2 more cups of flour for the whole batch.
  6. Roll your dough out as thick as you want it (I like to go about 1/2 cm) and cut out your shapes (FUN!)
  7. Lay your cookie cutouts on a lined baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes at170 degrees Celsius, OR more importantly until it reaches a lovely light golden shade. Try not to let your cookies brown at the edges.
Decorate if you want to, but as of yet, I haven't found a cookie icing recipe that works. But on their own, it's just so good to have a jar of these cookies always on hand for snacking.

Hope you like it!
x Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment