Monday

Ricotta Apple Cake


I was meant to do a bit of a brownie experiment this weekend - had planned it out perfectly except for one thing... I forgot to buy eggs. What the hoohay? So I had only 3 eggs on hand and a hankering to bake this evening and quickly pivoted from the brownie experiment plan to make this stunning cake I had seen on Food52's instagram. It's called Louisa's Cake, an elegantly simple recipe to pull off yet yields such wonderful results.


It's made with just a small bundle of ingredients, and chances are you will only need to run to the shops to get just two items - a fresh crunchy green apple and a tub of ricotta. It's also so easy, that I made two this weekend! One for Kak Yati's birthday, and another to bring to dinner at my sister-in-law's place.

I'll save the brownie experiment for another night this week, and I'd really still like to do it before I fly off this Thursday for my 30th birthday weekend getaway. Oh well, who needs sleep? I'm still in my 20s, I'm sure I could pull it off! Hehehe


Recipe for Louisa's Cake or a Ricotta Apple Cake
From Food52
  • 117g butter, room temperature
  • 225g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 250g fresh ricotta
  • 1 large green apple, peeled and shredded (and squeezed of excess moisture)
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 160g all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a 9" springform tin with parchment paper 
  2. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy, then add the eggs in one at a time while mixing on low speed
  3. Add the vanilla then beat in the ricotta, apple and lemon zest and continue to beat the mixture until combined (1-2 mins on low speed)
  4. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and fold in with a spatula until the dry ingredients are just wet then pour the batter out into the prepared tin and bake for 35 minutes (fan) 
  5. Cool the cake in the tin for about 10 minutes then move to a wire rack and cool completely before dusting with icing sugar and then cutting a slice out to "photograph" but really it was just in time for the hot mug of coffee you just made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment