Sunday

A Change of Pace

Photobucket
After a month of celebrations and good food (many of which include dessert), I woke up over the weekend feeling incredibly... tight. That's the only way for me to describe it, like my body is too tight for my skin!
So I resolved to return to my regular eating habits, which includes a packed lunch during work.
Key ingredient for my lunches: Hummus.
The store-bought stuff here is ridiculously priced, so I figured out ages ago that it's much cheaper to just make it myself, and also yummier as I get to tweak it to my personal preference (in this case, bring on the lemon juice!)
First of all, you've got to prepare the Tahini (which costs about rm27 at the stores here, are you CRAZY?! When the actual cost of making this stuff comes up to about rm5?), which will be the base for the hummus.
Tahini:
  • 5 cups sesame seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups of olive oil
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C, toast sesame seeds for 5-10 minutes (do not let it burn, a golden brown will suffice)
  2. Blend the tahini and olive oil until you achieve a pourable texture
Hummus:
  • 1 16oz tin of chick peas
  • 1/4 cup liquid from the chick peas tin
  • 3-5 tbsp of lemon juice (or to taste)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  1. Blend all ingredients for 3-5 minutes on low speed until thoroughly mixed and the texture is smooth
  2. Optional: garnish with parsley, or throw in a slice of chili or a dash of cayenne pepper for some spice
  3. Serve up with pita bread, or store for up to two weeks in the fridge
Enjoy! Hummus is a GREAT thing to have ready in the fridge for anytime of the day.
x Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment