Wednesday

Red Velvet Cream Cheese Swirl Cookies

Photobucket
From the very same genius who brought us the recipe for Butterbeer Cupcakes, comes this deviously tempting little gem: Red velvet cookies with a cream cheese swirl.
I love Red Velvet cake, LOVE it, but I can't possibly eat cake every single day if I hope to maintain some form of a waistline. It's not much of one, but at least there is a slight curve (though one may counter that it's simply because my butt balloons outwards). Whatever, I love where my weight is right now, it's not ideal, but neither is completely giving up the food I love.
So, while browsing through Amy's blog to check out the butterbeer cupcake recipe, I stumbled across her red velvet cookie recipe! How gorgeous are those cookies? They're so striking that people can't help but to take a second look.
Anyway, last Saturday night, I came home from a night out with my cousins and friends, with the most peculiar desire to bake! It was almost 4 in the morning, and I was physically tired, but I still managed to whip up a batch of cookies in no more than 30 minutes.
Some people are just not normal.
Photobucket
They smelled and tasted delicious, though. I've now decided to add this to my list of treats to bake when I'm back in Sarawak next week. Though will take the creator's word for it and not let the cream cheese get TOO mixed in with the dough. Mine is barely noticeable, however, the taste is still there,

Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese
Courtesy of amybites.com
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon red food coloring
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese, softened
Photobucket
  1. Preheat oven to 180ÂșC.
  2. Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy and well-combined.
  3. Beat in egg and vanilla, then beat in food coloring.
  4. Add flours, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder and mix until just combined.
  5. Add cream cheese in pieces to dough and mix briefly until just swirled.
  6. Portion out by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet and bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on cookie sheets.
Photobucket
This is a gorgeous recipe, but please... do not put in TOO much colouring. Also, if in doubt, when swirling in the cream cheese, it's probably best to simply use a spatula.
Love,
Nabiya

No comments:

Post a Comment