Sunday

Flourless Fudge Cookies


There are some days where you just need to bake or cook or create something tangible with your bare hands. On those days where you feel just plain old shitty, I find one of two things helps: making something in the kitchen, or re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (especially the QWC campsite scenes).

I haven't baked anything since the honey lemon poppyseed cake, but I'm happy to say I've cooked a lot and have at least also made more of an effort to try new savoury recipes. I'm still contemplating sharing those as they seem pretty basic, but whatever, this is my blog and my outlet, right? I'll write what I want, and hopefully what I write helps somebody else too.

This weekend was Father's Day weekend, so I cooked up a bit of a frenzy today. Made dad a lemon Victoria sponge trifle (cream and curd were too runny, so I stuffed everything into a trifle bowl and added more cream and curd), taught dad how to make his own beef burger patties (and hence had a bit of a burger party at home), and this last one was for myself... I made these little fudgy chocolate cookies that really bear absolutely no resemblance to any cookies I've ever made or had. They're little imposters; just pieces of fudge pretending to be cookies and therefore harmless.

They're easy enough to whip up, and I kind of freaking love them, so thought I'd put it up for my own safekeeping (sincerely doubt anybody still reads this blog considering my lack of discipline in updating it).


Flourless Fudge Cookies
Makes 30 large, hand sized cookies
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5 large egg whites
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
  • Sea salt flakes to top (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line 2 or 3 baking tins with parchment paper
  2. Combine the sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a large mixing bowl, then add the egg whites and vanilla extract. Stir to wet the ingredients, don't worry... it really is meant to be that sticky and tough to handle 
  3. Stir in the chocolate chips
  4. Dollop 1 tablespoon sized bits of the batter onto the tins, be sure to space them quite generously as these things will spread. (edit: upon tasting these again, I'd say add some sea salt flakes on top before baking to counter the sweetness) Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the tops are glossy and crack a little like in the photos 
  5. Remove from the oven and cool completely on the tins. Don't attempt to move them too early, they stick to the paper and you'll end up leaving half the cookie on the tin. Store in an airtight container

3 comments:

  1. for the record, I totally check back on your blog tho I've never commented before! I'm more of a savoury girl but love your cosy way of writing and have started picking up baking more now thanks to you! I look forward to checking out your new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, your comment really made my day. I'll post up more simple baking recipes and savoury dishes too soon!

      Delete
  2. They look divine and I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete