Sunday

Double Chocolate Banana Bread


Is it breakfast? Could I possibly have it for dessert? When the answer is yes to both, then you're on the right path in this life, my friend. I've wanted to make banana bread for the longest time, but people keep eating my damn bananas before they get to that perfectly ripe stage that I need for baking. So when I woke up today and saw three softened bananas sitting on the kitchen counter, I just started pulling out ingredients from the pantry. 

This particular chocolate banana bread is the perfect combination of crumbly and moist, and the use of unsweetened cocoa powder gives it a slightly bitter cocoa taste as opposed to an overpoweringly sweet chocolatey flavour. So yes, I think this should be OK for breakfast lol. 

So to those of you, who like me, are lucky enough to find a handful of ripe bananas and a couple of extra hours in your day, I invite you to try this recipe. A good banana bread takes an hour to bake, so to stave off the pre-guilt I was feeling, I did some intense interval training while waiting... let's hope it doesn't all go to pot and I keep up with this new fitness thing. 



Double Chocolate Banana Bread
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup mashed bananas
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup dark chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 5x9" baking tin with baking paper
  2. Beat the sugar, vegetable oil and eggs in a large bowl
  3. Beat in the mashed bananas and vanilla extract
  4. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, chocolate chips, and salt in a medium sized bowl, then mix into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined
  5. Pour the batter into the baking tin and bake for an hour. When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes before removing onto a wire rack to cool completely

No comments:

Post a Comment