Saturday

Pancakes!

Photobucket
I was surfing the interwebz last weekend and found this incredible picture of a recipe by Aleta. It may have been approaching midnight, but as soon as I saw it I wanted breakfast, and I wanted it then!
So it's damn good luck on my part that I have a 16-year-old brother and cousin in the house, cos they're always up for food no matter how odd the craving or combination. Thanks Mark and Isaac, love you smelly boys!
With a quick mental check of my pantry, I was assured that I had all the ingredients on hand. Yes, even blueberries (albeit from a tin, as opposed to Aleta's suggested frozen berries), which proves my point on grocery shopping: buy things you may not even know you need because they will come in handy sooner or later.
In this case, it was later rather than sooner. Considering I've had tin sitting in my pantry for a few months now!
I love how they turned out! I have absolutely NOOOO issue with having ultra blue pancakes. They're CRAZY awesome to look at while I ate them. My brother found them a bit shocking, though, and he gently nudged them away with his fork as he dug into the conservatively coloured pancakes. Coward.

The recipe is incredibly easy, and you should be able to whip it up in less than 10 minutes. Now, the hard part is flipping the pancakes... and watching them disappear out the corner of your eyes as the aforementioned 16-year-olds vanish them from the plate with surprising speed. Damn their metabolism!

Ze Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 1 3/4 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (as always, triple this amount for extra nomness)
  • Extra ingredients: 3/4 cup blueberries (pressed, with juice), 1 cup shredded cheddar, 3/4 sliced smashed bananas, etc
  1. Whisk the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) in a bowl
  2. Whisk the milk, butter, eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the dry mix
  3. Combine ingredients until integrated, then stir in your extra ingredients
  4. Let the mix sit for 10-15 minutes or so while you heat your pan
  5. Once the pan is hot (go on medium heat, please! Don't burn these beauties), drop 1/4 cup of batter for each cake. Flip when the bubbles stop and it's toasty on the bottom. Then take them off when they're equally toasty on the other side.
Aleta's tip is to use a "smidge" of shortening instead of butter to produce a slightly crispy pancake and she's right!

xx Nabs

No comments:

Post a Comment